Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Teenage Mutant Ninja Cashier

Have you ever noticed that this white building on Main Street has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the window frames? It used to be Kevin Eastman's Words and Pictures Museum and the turtle "gargoyles" remain. I had assumed Peter Laird, co-creator of the TMNTs was involved but in comments below he has clarified that it was just Kevin. Incidentally, growing up in the area, I worked at Price Chopper supermarket in Hadley with Kevin in 1982-84. We bagged groceries, rounded up shopping carts, and cashiered back in the days when you had to punch in the prices and memorize the PLU's for produce. Green Peppers 154, Red Peppers 159, Bananas 519. Hard to shake 'em. Kevin also beat me out for the love of cashier Beth Miller, a UMass Zoology major. Grrrrrrr. Peter Laird ran a comic book shop in town and bought my copy of Conan the Barbarian #1 off me when I needed some cash.
I love then and now shots. Here's one below. Looks like we lost a big building in there! Not sure of the specific year of the older one. That's another hastily researched and haphazardly posted Northampton History Moment!

4 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

I just noticed these gargoyles a few days ago too, coincidentally. Remember that big lighted gargoyle or maybe turtle that hung over the top of the building some years ago? (I think.)

PL said...

"Have you ever noticed that this white building on Main Street has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the window frames? It used to be Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird's Words and Pictures Museum and the turtle "gargoyles" remain."

In the interest of historical accuracy, the Words and Pictures Museum was solely Kevin Eastman's effort. I was not involved. -- Peter Laird

Anonymous said...

The older shot dates from about 2003, I'd say.

Kim said...

Ahh, i loved that building, still do! i have a couple shots with the gargoyle on top, sad i never got one with the red-lit eyes.
great blog..