Sunday, March 15, 2009

NEON GORE: New work by Dan Tower now on display at The Dirty Truth

The arterial blood red wall of downtown Northampton pub The Dirty Truth is one of the more dramatic spaces around for large works of art and an appropriate color for the current exhibit, Neon Gore by Dan Tower. The bar changes artists over every few months and I generally find that their choices are dramatic and confrontational, even blunt, which pretty much sets the tone for the bar. I asked the doorman who the artist was and he didn't know what I meant. I said "who did the work on the walls?" "Oh, I didn't even notice them," he said. "I don't know who did them." What is it with people and their tunnelvision? I noticed the artist info over his shoulder on the wall and asked him to lean out the way for a moment so I could shoot it for this post. He was annoyed. Nice work, Dan. Very gutsy.

No comments: