Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mikey the Busker Gone?

I don't know the details but Mikey, one of the regular downtown Northampton buskers, died within the last week. A memorial has started to take shape on the folding chair he sat on and kept secured with a bike lock to a street sign between shifts. He played solid versions of songs by the Dead, Dylan, Floyd, Neil...does anyone else remember his set list? I passed him several times a day and though I never stopped to chat I threw a fiver in when he played "I Can See For Miles" by The Who.
At least one of these photos is by Marvin Cable.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing the sad news. RIP Mikey.

Unknown said...

Wow, this is sad. He was a good guy, and a pretty good musician as well. I didn't know him very well but I did put on a few impromptu harmonies with him a few times on "Gimme Some Lovin" some Beatles songs and of course the Dead classics that he loved to play (Iko, Iko, Not Fade Away, etc.) He will be missed.

Jon Aronstein said...

It turns out that Mike was the (great)uncle of one of my son's very good fiends. I had no idea of the connection. today his sister gave me one of his CDs that he recorded in 2007.